The University of Liberia
 
  
 
Request a Catalog >>
 
 
 
 
 
 
UL Online
 Home
 Academic Programs
 Admission
 About UL
 Administration
 Office of the President
 Registration
 Students
 Online Resources
 
 

 
UL Online
 Course Descriptions
History
Mass Communication
Political Science
Sociology & Anthropology
Arts & Crafts
Demographic Studies
 Certificate in Statistics Program

UNIVERSITY OF LIBERIA COURSE CATALOG

THE WILLIAM V.S. TUBMAN TEACHERS COLLEGE


SHORT HISTORY

In order to help meet the nation's pressing need for trained teachers, The William V. S. Tubman School of Teacher Training was founded in March, 1947, as a cooperative enterprise of the Government of Liberia. The Methodist Church Mission in Liberia, and the Episcopal Church mission in Liberia, the institution was attached to the College of West Africa and provided a two-year program of academic and professional training for high school graduates preparing to teach in elementary schools. By 1950, the school had become an independent institution, was fully supported by the Government of Liberia and had extended its program of training to four years. In November, 1950, it awarded its first degrees, the Bachelor of Science in Education to nine persons - six men and three women. In 1951, it was merged with Liberia College and five other schools to become the University of Liberia. Since 1962, this school of the University has been known as The William V.S. Tubman Teachers College.


 
 
Contact | Directories | Maps & Directions | Giving to The University of Liberia